A must have menu while celebrating Christmas and New Year. Here's the recipe of Christmas Cake / Rich Fruit Cake.
- 11oz (310 gms) self raising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10oz (280 gms) white butter (unsalted butter)
- 10 oz (280 gms) soft brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 5 oz (140 gms) glace cherries
- 5 oz (140 gms) glace pineapples
- 3 oz (85gms) chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp brandy / rum
- 1½ level tsp mixed spices (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Mace and ground Cloves)
- 2½ lb (1 kg) mixed dried fruits (Dates, Sultanas, Currants, Raisins)
- Prepare a 9" (inch) round cake tin, well greased with little flour on the surface and lined with a double thickness (two layers) of greaseproof paper. Keep aside.
- Sift self raising powder flour (flour mixed with a pinch of baking powder), salt and mixed spices.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Blend eggs with black treacle and vanilla essence.
- Beat in egg mixture a little at a time, sifting in one rounded tbsp flour with each addition.
- Add dried fruit, glace cherries, glace pineapple and almonds and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in remaining flour and transfer mixture into the prepared tin and hollow out the centre.
- Bake in micro oven at 335 degree Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes.
- Test the cake by inserting a clean knife in the centre of the cake, if the knife comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- If the cake is not done, reduce the heat to 250 degree F and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until done.
- Cover the cake with kitchen paper when it is nicely colored.
- Leave at least 15 minutes before turning out on to a wire tray to cool.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper on aluminium foil and store in cool place / airtight tin till required.
Note: The brandy / rum may be added to the mixture with the eggs, but it gives more flavour to the cake if the top is lightly pricked with a skewer and the spirit is poured carefully over the cake.
Pictures courtesy: google