Phirni is a traditional North Indian sweet dish / kheer made of milk, rice and sugar. Here is the recipe for Kesari Phirni in a microwave.
- 50 gms long grain rice / basmati rice
- 500 ml milk
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 50 gms / 7 tbsp sugar
- A few strands of saffron
- 1 tsp whipped cream
- 3 tbsp seedless raisins
- 3 tbsp almonds, chopped
- 3 tbsp cashew nuts, halved
- 3 tbsp pista, sliced
- Clean wash and soak the rice in 100 ml water for 30 mins. Drain the water and grind rice to form a smooth paste with a little water. keep aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, boil milk at 100% power for 6-7 minutes. Stir in between. Microwave again at 50% power for 5 more mins.
- Add sugar, rice paste, saffron and half of the dried fruits. Cover the bowl and microwave at 60% power for 10 mins or until it thickens. (The kheer will thicken if allowed to stand either in the microwave or at room temperature for 10 minutes).
- When cool, add cream. Microwave at 40% power for 7-8 mins.
- Take the dish out of the microwave and cool slightly.
- Garnish the kheer with rest of the dried fruits and cardamom powder and chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.
Tips: for a low calorie kheer, use toned milk and reduce the amount of dry fruits and omit cream.
Sending this delicious pasta kheer to MEC : Puddings hosted by Jayasree (the event started by Srivalli)