As my kid loves pasta, tried out this pasta salad. This salad can be served as an appetizer, a dinner accompaniment or as a main course. Vegetables like carrots, beans, peas, button mushrooms can be added and even shredded chicken can be added to turn this dish to a full meal.
- 200gms (2 cups) penne pasta
- 1 green capsicum, large
- 1 red capsicum, large
- 1 tbsp olive oil / white oil
- 3 tbsp cream / mayonnaise
- 8 cups water (1 cup 200 ml)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced (garnish)
- 4 tomatoes, large
- 3 tsp ready made tomato puree
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- Boil water in a large sauce pan, add a little salt and few drops of olive oil. Add pasta to boiling water, stir occasionally so that pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook for 7-8 mins till pasta turns soft but firm. Remember not to overcook as the pasta turns too mushy.
- Remove from fire and leave pasta in hot water for 2 more minutes. Strain water and leave pasta in the strainer till all the water drains out. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pasta to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Transfer the cooked pasta in a bowl, add cream / mayonnaise, mix well and keep aside.
- Wash capsicums thoroughly and roast directly on the gas flame (make sure to roast lightly so that the capsicums are not blackened).
- Remove from fire, cool and chop the roasted capsicums into small pieces. Add to the cooked pasta.
- To prepare Dressing, blanch tomatoes in boiling water, remove from water, peel the outer skin of the tomatoes and grind in a blender to form a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic, stir for 2 mins and add the fresh tomato puree, ready made puree, white vinegar and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 more mins.
- Remove from heat and pour over the pasta and stir gently. Garnish with chopped spring onions, chilli flakes and oregano and serve with buttered bread.