When we think of Starters in Chinese Cuisine, the first thing which comes in mind is Spring Roll but there are several items which are equally yummy. Here is the recipe for Sesame Fingers, a crispy and crunchy starter, a must have item with a hot soup and also very easy to prepare at home.
- 1 big loaf of sliced bread / small bread rolls
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100 gms carrots, finely chopped
- 100 gms french beans, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, large, finely chopped
- 1 celery, small, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes
- 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- 1 tablespoons sesame seeds (til)
- 4 tablespoons refined oil
- oil, for deep frying
- salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes and mash them coarsely.
- Heat oil in a wok / frying pan over high flame.
- Add spring onions, carrots, french beans, capsicum and celery and stir fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add the potatoes, soya sauce, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook for another 3-4 mins.
- Remove from the fire and cool the mixture.
- Put a little mixture on each bread slice and cover with another slice and press well by hand.
- Make a light paste of the flour in ½ cup water.
- Apply the paste over the bread slice and sprinkle sesame seeds on the top (Alternatively, cut a small bread roll, put a little vegetable mixture inside and press firmly to close the rolls).
- Heat oil and deep fry the bread slices / rolls. Serve hot with chilli sauce.
Picture courtesy: google