Aloo dum is a very simple recipe for potatoes cooked with Indian spices for plenty of flavor. There are several different variations of cooking aloo dum like kashmiri aloo dum, stuffed aloo dum and even pure vegetarian aloo dum.
This is the recipe for pure vegetarian aloo dum (for those who do not take onions in their food items).
- 500 gms small potatoes, (uniform size)
- 1 tbsp ginger paste (grated ginger)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste (grated garlic)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 - ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 cup water (as required for gravy)
- 2 bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, retain the skin and prick the potatoes with a fork.
- Take a pressure cooker, boil just enough water, add a pinch of salt and release the potatoes when the water starts to boil. Give one whistle only to cook the potatoes until just tender. (otherwise potatoes will turn too mushy).
- Drain the water and peel the outer skin of the boiled potatoes. Keep aside.
- Take a kadhai, heat oil. Lower the flame, add sugar and let it caramelize (But not too dark otherwise the whole dish will have a burnt taste).
- Add the bay leaf and the whole spices (cinnamon stick, cardamoms & cloves).
- Add the ginger & garlic paste and turmeric powder and stir fry.
- Add the coriander & cumin powder. Stir fry.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and red chilli powder and mix well with the fried spices. Add a little water if you want gravy.
- Release the potatoes in the kadhai, mix well and cook on high flame till all the spices are uniformly coated.
- Lower the flame and cook for 5-7 mins (till the potatoes are cooked). Check the gravy as required.
- Just before removing add ghee & garam masala powder and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl / plate. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with puri (luchi) / parantha.