Bread Upma / Bread Pulao, a tasty breakfast dish prepared with bread slices and choice of vegetables. My mom used to call this paurutir pulao (pauruti or bread as known in Bengali). This can be done with 1-2 days old bread. Here is the recipe as prepared by my mother during weekends.
- 10-12 bread slices
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup carrot, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup cauliflower, small florets
- ½ cup peas, shelled
- 1-2 green chillies (as per taste)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (black / white)
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil, for frying
- roasted grounduts / bhujiya
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- grated coconut / small coconut slices
- Cut the bread into 4 pieces (you can remove crust or keep as desired). Keep aside.
- Parboil the vegetables in water mixed with a little salt till al-dente (don’t overcook or the vegetables will turn mushy). Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Take a deep flat bottomed non-stick frying pan. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté till light brown.
- Add the boiled vegetables and green chillies and stir fry for 1 min.
- Add the bread slices and mix well with the vegetables and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Sprinkle sugar, mix well with the breads and vegetables and stir fry for 1 more min.
- Remove from fire and transfer in a serving plate.
- Garnish with either roasted groundnuts / bhujiya and coriander leaves or grated coconut / small coconut slices. Serve hot.