Making my son eat vegetables and legume is a tough matter. So I try to prepare dishes as per his liking utilizing vegetables and lentils which are not visible in the final dish. Here is a healthy Continental soup with cannellini beans, carrots and chicken.
- 200 gms cannellini beans / white Italian kidney beans
- 1 large chicken leg portion
- 150 gms onions (peeled & finely chopped)
- 125 gms carrots (peeled & finely sliced)
- 1 stick celery (trimmed & sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ltr water
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped coriander leaves (optional) for garnish
- Soak the beans overnight. Take a pressure cooker, put the beans, add water as required and bring to a boil.
- Cover and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, simmer and cook the beans for about 40-45 mins. Drain.
- Now put the onion, carrots & celery slices with the beans, chicken portion, a pinch of salt and bay leaf in the pressure cooker.
- Add 1 ltr water, cover and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and simmer to cook for 20 mins.
- Remove the chicken portion from the pressure cooker, remove the bone and make small chicken slices. Discard the bay leaf.
- Put all the boiled vegetables except the chicken pieces in a blender, add a little stock and blend to form a puree.
- Take a deep bottomed saucepan, add the puree & rest of the stock and adjust the salt. Add the chicken pieces in the pan and mix well.
- Serve hot in serving bowls with 2 small knobs of butter, chopped coriander leaves and buttered garlic bread toast.