Thought of making Saag-Aloo (a nutritious dish made of spinach & potatoes) dish for tonight’s dinner. While preparing I found out there was no coriander leaves (which I generally use for spinach gravy recipes) but a handful bunch of mint leaves were available. Well wary at first of the taste, substituted coriander leaves with the mint leaves and voila...the final dish was also delicious with the typical smell of mint.
A few bunch of mint leaves were extra so I prepared mint, cucumber & yogurt raita and instead of plain roti made pudina parantha to have a whole course "minty" menu for tonight's dinner.
- 2-3 bunch spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 2 bunch mint leaves
- 2 large onions, finely chopped / grated
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1-2 green chilli (as per taste)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- a few mint leaves, for garnishing
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin seeds / jeera powder
- Wash the palak thoroughly. Pressure cook the palak in a little water. Add 2 garlic cloves and a little salt (spinach do not absorb salt, so be careful while adding salt to water).
- Give 2 whistles, remove from fire and let the cooker come down to normal temperature.
- Wash & peel the potatoes and dice to small cubes. Wash the shelled peas.
- Boil water in a pan, add a little salt and steam the diced potatoes and peas till tender but not too mushy. Remove from flame, drain the boiled vegetables and keep aside.
- Meanwhile put the pressure cooked palak (ensure the palak is cooled thoroughly), 2 bunch of mint leaves and green chilli in a mixie and blend to form a smooth puree.
- Take a non stick pan, heat oil and saute the chopped / grated onions till light brown. Add the ginger & garlic paste and fry for 2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spinach puree and cook till the tomatoes are mixed thoroughly and the palak starts to bubble.
- Reduce the flame and add the boiled potato cubes & peas, salt, red chili powder & garam masala and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer in a serving dish. Garnish with mint leaves and roasted jeera powder and serve hot with roti / paranthas.