Sometimes back I wrote about Aloo Posto (Potatoes cooked in poppy seeds paste). It is served as a side dish with Biuli Daal (Urad Daal or Kalai Daal as known in Bengali). There are many ways of preparing this daal, but most famous is the simple & aromatic recipe stated below.
- ½ cup (100 gms) urad dal (kalai dal / biuli dal)
- water (ratio 1 cup dal = 3 cups of water)
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 tsp aniseed (fennel / saunf / mouri)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 green chilli
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp oil, for tempering
- Wash and soak the daal for 10 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Place the aniseed and ginger in a bowl and add hot water. Keep covered for 30 mins. Drain water and blend them together to form a smooth paste. (add a little water, if required). Keep aside.
- Boil water in a pressure cooker and release the daal. Add salt and mix well. Place the cover with the lid and give one whistle. Simmer and cook daal for 10-15 mins or until moderately soft. (ensure that the grains are visible and daal is not mushy).
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add the bay leaf, green chillies and aniseed-ginger paste. Saute and stir a little (don’t fry too much or the paste will have a burnt smell & taste).
- Pour the tempering over the daal. Adjust the seasoning. (the daal should not be too thick. Add a little water, if necessary and give one boil). Serve hot with rice.