Sunday breakfast prior to my marriage meant luchi (puris) and bolker torkari (white side dish preparation of potatoes sometimes with the addition of parwal (pointed gourd or potol to Bengalis).....My mother used to call it boloker torkari / sada (white) torkari........
A simple preparation with little oil and just one or two ingredients, with kalo jire (kalonji) / panchphoron being the main spice.......
Here is the recipe as learnt from my mother.......
- 4 potatoes, peeled & diced
- 6 pointed gourd (potol), peeled (alternatively with strips) & chopped
- 1 tsp kalo jire (kalonji)
- salt (to taste)
- 2-3 green chiilies
- 2-3 tbsp mustard oil
- water (as required)
- Heat half the oil in a kadhai. Add kalo jire and green chillies and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped pointed gourd slices, saute for 3-4 mins and then add the diced potatoes and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add salt, mix well and add water (as per gravy).
- Bring to a boil, simmer and pour rest of the mustard oil on top of the water (Ensure not to stir the oil).
- Cover and cook for 5-6 mins till the vegetables are tender. Remove from fire, transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot with luchi / parantha / puris.
Sending this to the 15 minutes Cooking event by Mahimaa....