Insalata Caprese is a chilled salad prepared with tomatoes and mozzarella with olive oil and basil with the addition of black olives. Be sure to prepare with firm red tomatoes and if you dont find basil leaves, use fresh parsley leaves.
- 3 small tomatoes
- 100 gms mozarella cheese (1" square)
- 6 black olives (halved)
- few basil leaves (dipped in chilled water)
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic flakes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar, olive oil, chopped garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into even circles. In a flat serving dish, arrange the cheese slices.
- Top each cheese slice with a tomato slice. Arrange an olive half and a basil leaf on the tomato slice.
- Spoon some dressing on the tomato and cheese slices. Cover with a plastic wrap / cling foil and refrigerate till serving time.