Yday it was very hot and humid. Thought of making plain rice and chicken curry for dinner. But on second thought wanted to prepare either jeera rice or peas pulao. But somehow ended up making a jeera peas rice, a tasty variation on plain boiled rice, with jeera and peas. Here is the recipe…
- 2 cups / 400 gms basmati rice (long grain rice)
- 4 cups water (ratio 1 cup rice = 2 cups water)
- 1-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 cup / 100 gms shelled peas
- 2 tbsp white oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 bunch chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- cucumber slices, for garnishing
- 4-5 green chillies, for garnishing
- Wash the Basmati rice well in running water. Soak in water for 30 mins. Drain water in a strainer / colander and keep aside.
- Take a nonstick pressure cooker (ordinary cooker will also do, but give a little bit more oil), heat oil. Add jeera let them splutter. Reduce the flame, add the peas and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add the rice and salt and stir a little. Add water and mix well.
- Place the cover on the pressure cooker and let the rice come to a boil. Place the lid on the cooker and pressure cook till 2 whistles. Switch off the gas.
- Apply ghee on the rice and mix well from the bottom. Transfer the jeera peas rice on a serving tray.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, cucumber slices and chillies. Serve hot with raita, paneer dish or any chicken preparation.