Lady's finger (also known as Okra / Bhindi / Dharosh) is not a favourite vegetable of a lot of people. But knowing how to cook it in a proper way, can turn it into delicious side dishes. Here is the recipe of Stir Fried Bhindi, a crispy stir fry and a side dish preparation of lady's finger and onions and can be served with both rice and chapattis.
- 50 gms lady's finger / bhindi / okra
- 3 onions, finely choped
- 6 tbsp oil
- 4 tsp coriander / dhania powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp amchoor / dried mango powder
- 1-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
Spices for garnishing:
- 1 tsp aniseed / saunf / mouri
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tsp coriander seeds / saboot dhania
- Crush aniseed, jeera and saboot dhania to form a powder. Keep aside.
- Wash and dry the lady's fingers. Slice the top and bottom end of each lady's finger.
- Finely chop to small pieces (You can slit lengthwise also).
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the chopped onions and saute till light brown. Add the powdered masala, mix and stir fry.
- Add the chopped lady's finger, mix well with the masala and stir fry for 3-4 mins.
- Simmer, cover and cook for 5 mins. Remove the cover and cook till the lady's finger are crisp and completely cooked.
- Add the powdered aniseed, jeera & dhania powdered mixture over the dhania. Serve hot.
Another version, you can add 2 bsp of beaten curd towards the end of the cooking. Keep stiring on medium heat till the curd is completely blended with the bhindi.
- Always choose young and tender bhindi. You can check whether the bhindis are young or not by snapping. The best ones will get easily snapped when you bend the tail end of the pod.
- Make sure to dry the bhindi completely after washing them in water or the bhindis will become slimy. Use dry chopping board and knife.
- Use a little extra oil than other dishes and cook on high heat. After that you can lower heat and cook covered as necessary.