An all time favourite recipe for fish loving Bengalis...It is prepared with onion paste, sometimes yogurt is also added. Here is the recipe for typical Bengali Rui (Pona) Machher Kalia (Rui Fish Curry).....
- rohu fish: 250-300 gms / 6-8 pieces
- bay leaves: 2
- ginger paste: 1 tsp
- garlic paste: 1 tsp
- onion paste: 2 tbsp
- tomato: 1 (finely chopped)
- green chilli: 1-2 pieces (slit)
- salt to taste
- turmeric: 1-2 tsp
- garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- mustard oil for cooking
- sugar: 1 tsp
- water: as required for gravy
- Wash the fish pieces, apply salt and turmeric and coat well. Heat oil in non stick kadai and shallow fry the fish. Keep aside the fried fish pieces.
- Heat oil (add a little more oil, if required) again and add sugar. Reduce flame when the sugar starts to caramelize, add the bay leaves, green chilli.
- Add the onion paste, saute a little, add the ginger and garlic paste, mix well and saute a little more. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix all the spices.
- Add a little water, after the oil comes out from the masala. Add the fried fish pieces into the curry / gravy, let it come to a boil. Check the sugar and salt and adjust accordingly.
- Reduce the flame, simmer for 2-3 mins and remove from fire.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Also sending these 2 recipes from my Archives.....
Bengali Fish Curry (Microwave)