Parsi Pora is a popular Parsi Omlette, prepared with lot of spices to give an authentic taste. It tastes best, served between two pieces of toasted & buttered bread (white / whole wheat) along with tomato / mango chutney.
- Eggs: 5-6
- Onion, finely chopped: 3 medium
- Tomatoes, finely chopped: 1 large
- Green chilies, chopped: 2-3
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped: 1 cup
- Dhana jiru powder (fresh coriander seeds & cumin seeds ground to form powder): ½ tsp
- Ginger & Garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper, freshly grounded: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili powder: 1/2 tsp (to taste)
- Turmeric (optional): 1/2 tsp
- Ghee / white oil: 2 tbsp
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs well to combine egg whites & yolks. Add the chopped ingredients, dhana jiru powder, ginger & garlic paste and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add 1-2 drops of ghee / oil and coat on al sides. Pour a ladleful of the egg mixture in the centre. Carefully tilt and rotate the pan so that the egg mixture forms a perfect circle. Cover and let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- As soon as the lower side is cooked and turns light brown, gently turn / flip the omlette and let it cook the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture. Serve with hot bread / toast.
Traditional parsi way to cook poras is to shallow fry one at a time in oil without folding to form a rich dark brown pora. Different types of Poras can be prepared by adding raw / ripe mangoes, boiled potatoes (cubed) with a little gram flour.