Soya nuggets /chunks are commonly referred to as vegetarian meat and generally used as meat substitutes in several dishes. Soys nuggets are prepared from defatted (DOC) soya flour by the process of extrusion cooking.
- Soya chunks / nuggets: 100 gms / 1 cup
- Cornflour: 50 gms / ½ cup
- Onion, cubed & layers are separated: 3
- Capsicum, diced / cubed: 1 large
- Green chiilies, chopped: 3-4
- Garlic & Ginger, chopped: 1 tsp
- Soya sauce: 2-3 tbsp
- Tomato sauce / ketchup: 1 tbsp (optional)
- Vinegar: 1 tsp
- White oil: 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Spring onions, chopped: 1 bunch
- Boil water in a pan, add a little salt, soak the soya chunks. Cover the pan and let the soya chunks soak for 15-20 mins. Press and squeeze out excess water and keep aside.
- Take a bowl, combine 1 tbsp of cornflour in a little cold water, soya sauce & vinegar and mix well. Keep aside.
- Mix the rest of the corn flour with a little water in a bowl to make a smooth batter. Heat oil in a kadhai, lightly coat the soya chunks in the batter and saute them. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil once again (add extra oil, if required). Add the cubed onion & capsicum pieces and saute for 3 - 4 mins till the onion and capsicums are tender.
- Stir the cornflour and soya sauce mixture, add to the kadhai and keep on stirring. Add soya chunks, chopped green chillies, garlic & salt, mix well so that all the soya chunks get coated with the gravy. Add tomato sauce (optional) and mix well.
- Adjust water (as per your requirement of gravy), cook for 5 - 6 mins till the gray become thick. Remove from fire, transfer in a serving dish.
- Garnish with grated ginger, chopped spring onions and serve hot with noodles / chowmein or fried rice.
Tip: Some people do not like the smell of soya chunks. To remove the 'smell / stink' in soya chunks, here is a helpful trick. Add finely chopped garlic in the boiling water, release the soya chunks and boil for 5-10 mins. Press and thoroughly squeeze out water and use in the recipe.
I am sending this delicious Chilli Soya recipe to Vaishali's IAVW-Chinese event and to Radhika's and Sudeshna's Foods for 7 Stages of Life-Kids Special event....