Sago /Sabudhana Murukku (a tasty savory snack prepared with sago, rice flour, besan flour and fried gram flour) was chosen by Srivalli for Indian Cooking Challenge for the month of March.
As Sri already challenged us to prepare murukku before, this was a little easy, though I have never prepared murukku with sago before. Stated below is the recipe by Srivalli.
- Rice flour: 2 cups
- Besan flour: 1/2 cup
- Fried gram flour: 1/2 cup
- Sago: 1/2 cup
- Oil: 50 gms
- Salt to taste
- Curd: 50 gms (half of half cup)
- Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Oil for frying murukku
Special Utensil: Muruku Achu
- Soak sago in buttermilk for 3 hrs (please ensure that you soak the sago well or else sago may burst while frying the murukkus).
- Mix all the flour together, add salt and chilli powder. Heat 50 gms oil and mix to the flour.
- Gradually add the buttermilk soaked sago and knead to a chapati dough consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Add the dough in the muruku achu. When the oil is hot, press down the dough directly in the oil as murukus.
- Cook the murukkus on medium flame. Drain oil and store the murukkus in airtight container.
A few points to remember: Ensure that the sago soaked in buttermilk is soft or else it will burst while frying the murukus and also to cook on medium flame to ensure even cooking.