- Onion (Peyaj): 2
- Besan (Bengal gram flour): 1 cup
- Plain Flour (Maida): 1 cup
- Green Chillies, chopped: 2
- Red chilli powder: a pinch
- Baking Soda: a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel, halve and finely slice the onions and chop green chillies.
- Take a mixing bowl, take the sliced onions, chopped chillies & salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add a pinch of baking soda, red chilli powder, maida & besan and mix well.
- Add a little water and mix thoroughly so that the onions are coated with the besan and stick to each other (add more water if required but avoid excess water).
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed kadhai; add few drops of heated oil in the besan mixture and again mix well.
- Scoop some of the onion-besan mixture and release in the oil (be careful not to crowd the pan or else the pakodas will stick to one another and will remain uncooked inside).
- Fry the onion fritters in medium heat, turn and cook till crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain out excess oil. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- Place the onion fritters in a serving plate with ketchup and serve hot with tea /coffee.