- Rice flour: 2 cups
- Besan flour: 1/2 cup
- Fried gram flour: 1/2 cup
- Sago: 1/2 cup
- Oil: 50 gms
- Salt to taste
- Curd: 50 gms (half of half cup)
- Chilli powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Oil for frying murukku
Special Utensil: Muruku Achu
- Soak sago in buttermilk for 3 hrs (please ensure that you soak the sago well or else sago may burst while frying the murukkus).
- Mix all the flour together, add salt and chilli powder. Heat 50 gms oil and mix to the flour.
- Gradually add the buttermilk soaked sago and knead to a chapati dough consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadhai for deep frying. Add the dough in the muruku achu. When the oil is hot, press down the dough directly in the oil as murukus.
- Cook the murukkus on medium flame. Drain oil and store the murukkus in airtight container.
A few points to remember: Ensure that the sago soaked in buttermilk is soft or else it will burst while frying the murukus and also to cook on medium flame to ensure even cooking.