Delectable summer drinks like Aam Pora Shorbot, Beler Shorbot (sherbet made with passion fruit), Zafrani / Kesari Sherbet, including yogurt drinks like Ghol / Chaas and Lassi are traditional coolers and excellent remedies to beat the sweltering heat of Kolkata summer. They help in digestion and the salt & sugar combination of the drinks keeps the electrolyte level of the body in control.
Aam Pora Shorbot (sherbet prepared with roasted mango pulp) is useful in rehydrating the body and preventing Heat Stroke / Sunstroke (A metabolic disorder where the body temperature increases and the body is unable to dissipate the heat and can even lead to unconsciousness). Here is the recipe as learnt from my mother.
- 2 raw mangoes
- a pinch salt (per glass or to taste)
- 3-4 tsp sugar (per glass)
- 150-200 ml water (per glass)
- a pinch of rock salt (to garnish)
- a pinch of roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- ice cubes
- Wash the mangoes and cut a small portion (circular shape) at the tip of the mangoes.
- Roast the mangoes on gas flame while turning them to ensure even roasting on all sides.
- Remove from flame and let them cool. When the mangoes are cool enough to handle, remove the outer skin and discard the pit.
- Collect the mango pulp and accumulated juices in a mixing bowl and coarsely mash the pulp.
- While serving, put 2 tsp of roasted mango pulp (if you want it thick, put more pulp) in a glass. Add sugar and salt (mix as per requirement) and requisite water and stir well so that the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Sprinkle a pinch of rock salt and roasted jeera powder, stir and serve with ice cubes.
Treating Heat Stroke / Sunstroke:
Mix 4 tsp of roasted mango pulp with 200 ml of water and enough sugar with salt. Consume it every one hour. (Generally symptoms of Heat Stroke subsides within 3 to 6 hours of consuming using mango pulp drinks).