It's been a long time since I have baked a cake. A recipe for Chocolate Fudge Cake as found in a cake recipe book.
- 325 gms plain chocolate cake covering
- 275 gms white butter
- 175 gms caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 175 gms self raising flour
- 50 gms ground rice
- 10 ml / 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 gms flaked almonds
- 100 gms icing sugar
- 10-15 ml coffee essence
- toasted almonds, half dipped in melted chocolate, to decorate
- Line a 9 inch round cake tin with buttered greaseproof paper.
- Warm half the cake covering in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Whisk 225 gms butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs, keeping the mixture stiff.
- Slowly beat in the flour with ground rice, vanilla essence and flaked almonds and the cool, (but still liquid) chocolate cake covering.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in oven at 180°C / 350°F, mark 4 for 11/2 hours. Cool in the tin for 30 mins before turning out.
- Melt the remaining chocolate cake covering and coat the top and sides of the cake.
- Whisk the remaining butter in a bowl, beat in sifted icing sugar and coffee essence.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe around the cake top (You can pipe design as per your choice). Decorate with toasted almonds.