Laddoo / Laddu is a type of sweet often prepared to celebrate festivals or household events. There are different types of laddoos like boondi / motichur laddoo, rava laddoo, besan laddoo, mawa laddoo to name a few…
Here is the recipe for Moong Daal Laddoo, which is easy to prepare at home. You can either soak the daal, grind to make a paste, fry and then make the laddoos (A little time consuming method as the frying takes a lot of time).
Another process is to use powdered moong daal flour (or powder the dry roasted moong daal) and then prepare the laddoos.
- 300 gms (1½ cup) moong daal (yellow split green gram daal)
- 300 gms (1½ cup) sugar
- 250 gms / 1 cup melted ghee (as required)
- 6 black cardamoms (badi elaichi), crushed
- 2 tsp ghee (for preparing final laddoo)
- Take a kadhai and dry roast the moong dal (you can use sona moong dal) on low flame until the colour changes to light brown / red.
- Cool thoroughly and grind the roasted daal and sugar in a blender to form a powdered mixture. Keep aside a portion of the daal & sugar powder.
- Take a non-stick kadhai, melt a little ghee and add the grounded daal & sugar. Add the crushed cardamoms. Mix well and stir continuously.
- Add the rest of the ghee a little a time and mix well till all the ingredients are fried and coated with ghee.
- Remove from heat. Smear hand with a little ghee and make small round balls.
- Roll the laddoos on the powdered (daal & sugar) mixture and refrigerate to set.