Thandai is a popular cold drink prepared with a mixture of almonds, fennel seeds, magaztari seeds, rose petals, black peppercorns, poppy seeds, cardamom, saffron, milk and sugar. It is sometimes mixed with 'bhang' to make an intoxicating drink and often associated with the Holi festival.
- 1 - ½ ltr water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tbsp watermelon seeds (tarbuj seeds), skinned
- ½ tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus / posto)
- ½ tbsp aniseed (saunf / mouri)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (or seeds of 2 black cardamoms, crushed)
- 1/2 tsp rosewater
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/4 cup dried / fresh rose petals
- ½ tsp bhang (optional)
- Take a pan and soak sugar in ½ ltr of water. Stir till all the sugar is dissolved in water. Strain to obtain the sugar syrup and keep aside.
- Wash and clean all the dry ingredients. Soak in 2 cups of water. Keep aside.
- Allow all the soaked items to stand for about 2 hours.
- Take a blender / mixie and grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste. Add 1 cup water to the paste.
- Strain the paste through a strainer / muslin cloth and collect the extracted liquid in a bowl.
- Add remaining water to the extract, press and try to extract more liquid. \
- Repeat the process for 2-3 times till the residue (on the strainer / inside the muslin cloth) becomes dry and it is impossible to collect more liquid.
- Add milk, sugar syrup and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- Add cardamom powder / crushed cardamom and mix well.
- Crush the buds and leaves of Cannabis (bhang, optional) and mix in the thandai.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Serve chilled with ice cubes in tall glasses.