Vegetable Pulao is a very popular dish in Indian cooking prepared with rice and vegetables and served with raita / yoghurt and salad.
I used to prepare vegetable pulao in the traditional way of boiling rice and vegetables in a cooker but tried this recipe in the microwave (900 wattage). It tasted just as fine. Here is the recipe:
Vegetables (equal quantity each)
- 50 gms peas, shelled
- 50 gms carrot, finely chopped
- 50 gms cauliflower florets, small pieces
- 50 gms french beans, finely chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 100 gms paneer, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1 large cinnamon sticks / dalchini (halved into 2 pieces)
- 2 cloves / laung / lobongo
- 2 black cardamoms / badi elachi (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves / tejpata
- 50 gms raisins / kishmish
- 1 tsp ghee / white oil
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- roasted cashewnuts / kaju (halved)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Wash the rice thoroughly. Take a deep bowl of water and soak rice for 20 mins.
- Soak the raisins in water (if you are using refrigerated raisins) and drain the water after 5 mins. Keep aside.
- Take a microwave safe bowl and microwave oil / ghee at 100% power for 30 mins.
- Add chopped onion at microwave at 100% power for 1 min.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black cardamoms, bay leaves to the sauted onions and microwave at 100% power for 1 min (Stir after 30 secs).
- Add the raisins, all the vegetables, soaked rice and 2 cups of water (ratio is 1 cup rice: 2 cups of water) and microwave covered at 100% power for 10 mins.
- Add the paneer cubes and microwave covered at 100% power for 1 min.
- Now microwave again at 60% power for 5 more mins. Stir in between.
- Allow to stand in the micro for 5 mins.
- Transfer in a serving plate and garnish with roasted cashewnuts and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with dal, salads and yoghurt / raita.