Paneer Peas Pulao is a delicious North Indian dish. Though pulao is generally cooked by boiling rice in a handi / big bowl, I prepared this pulao in a pressure cooker. The raisins and cashew nuts added to the pulao, bring out the authentic taste in this Paneer (cottage cheese) Peas Pulao.
- Basmati rice: 2 cups (200 gms)
- Paneer (cottage cheese), cubed: 150 gms
- Peas, shelled: 1 cup (100 gms)
- Cashew nuts, halved: 50 gms
- Raisins: 50 gms
- Bay leaf: 2
- Cinnamon stick: 1"
- Cloves: 4-5
- Green Cardamoms: 2-3
- Vegetable oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Sugar: 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Water: 3&1/2 cups
- Wash rice thoroughly, let it soak in a bowl for 30 mins, drain and keep aside.
- Boil water in a bowl, put the paneer cubes, simmer and soak for 2-3 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, release the cashew nuts and saute till light golden. Remove and set aside. Similarly lightly saute the raisins, drain oil and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add whole spices. Stir and saute for 1-2 mins. Add rice, peas, paneer cubes and half the portion of fried cashew nuts & raisins. Lightly saute until all the ingredients are well coated with oil.
- Add water, sugar and salt. Stir a little, cover the cooker with the lid and bring the water to a boil. When the water starts boiling (steam comes out of the nozzle), put the whistle cap on the lid and cook till 2-3 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool down, gently transfer the pulao to a serving dish. Garnish with rest of the fried cashew nuts & raisins. Serve hot.
Sending this pulao recipe to Sara's Say Cheese event...
and some of my favourites from the archives