Aam Daal (Lentil cooked with raw mango) a perfect dish to relish in summer time....Raw mango is cooked along with daal, which gives the dish a unique tangy taste. A simple dish with a few ingredients........
While browsing I came found varieties of aam daal, but found this recipe (as posted by Sandeepa) very similar to the one I make at home...
- ½ cup (100 gms) masoor daal (split orange / red lentils)
- 1 raw mango (kancha aam), peeled & finely chopped
- 1-2 cups water (as required)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp sugar (as required)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Wash and soak the masoor daal for 10-15 mins. Pressure cook daal with turmeric, a pinch of salt and enough water till 2-3 whistles. Remove from fire, let the cooker come down to normal temp. Pour daal in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped mango slices, saute a little. Add the boiled masoor daal and mix well. Cover and cook for some time till the mangoes become tender.
- Bring to a boil and adjust sugar and salt. (Add a little water, if required)
- Remove from fire, transfer to a serving bowl and serve with steamed rice.