Love is in the air! Today is Valentines Day, a day to celebrate with someone special. Let’s bake a Black Forest Cake for that special man in your life. After all the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.
Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake (plain / dark chocolate cake), with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. The cake is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries (a preserved, sweetened cherry) and chocolate curls / shavings.
In some European traditions sour cherries are used both between the layers and for decorating the top. Traditionally, Kirschwasser / Kirsch (a clear, colorless fruit brandy) is added to the cake, though other liquors are also used (like rum).
- 2 dark chocolate cakes (ingredients provided below)
- 225 gms tinned cherries
- 1 tbsp rum / kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 450 gms whipping cream
- 6 tbsp powdered icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 40 gms dark chocolate (1 dark chocolate), for curls / flakes
- maraschino cherries (drained), for garnish
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Cake (makes 2):
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 5 tbsp flour (maida)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp milk (optional)
Dark Chocolate Cake:
- Prepare two 9 in. round cake tin, well greased with little flour on the surface and lined with a double thickness (two layers) of greaseproof paper. Keep aside.
- Sieve flour, cocoa and baking powder thrice. Keep aside.
- Beat eggs, butter & sugar with vanilla essence in a bowl until light & fluffy.
- Gradually add sieved flour in the beaten egg mixture and fold gently a little at a time. Do not overmix. (You may add milk if required).
- Transfer the cake batter into 2 greased tins and hollow out the centre.
- Bake in micro oven at 180 degree C / 350 degree F for 30 mins.
- (Test the cake by inserting a clean knife in the centre of the cake, if the knife comes out clean, the cake is ready).
- If the cake is not done, reduce the heat to 120 degree C / 250 degree F and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until done.
- Leave at least 15 minutes in the microwave before turning out on to a wire tray to cool.
- Chill cream in a small pan in the freezer for about 30 mins.
- When the cream and the pan are properly chilled, gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla essence.
- Whip carefully till the cream is thick and stand in soft peaks. Keep rest of the cream in the refrigerator.
- Keep the chocolate bar with the wrapper on the outer surface of a hot oven so that it melts slightly and becomes soft.
- Refrigerate a little so that the bar is firm but not too hard otherwise the chocolate curls with be too small.
- With the help of a vegetable / potato peeler, peel the side of the chocolate onto a plate to have chocolate flakes.
- Refrigerate for half an hour or until ready to serve.
To assemble the Cake:
- Drain the cherry syrup and keep aside. Remove seeds from the cherries.
- Add rum / kirsch to ½ cup cherry syrup.
- Cut the dark chocolate cake into 2 halves. Soak both the layers with cherry syrup. (Put about 4-5 tbsp of syrup on each layer of the cake).
- Spread half of the cream icing on each layer of cake.
- Place one layer on a serving plate, put deseeded cherries on the cream and cover it with another layer of cake on top of the cherries.
- Spread the remaining whipped cream and cover the cake on all sides including the top of the cake.
- Level top and sides with a broad knife dipped in chilled water.
- Put chocolate flakes on the top of the cake and also on the sides. (You can press gently the chocolate flakes with fingers on the side of the cake).
- Decorate the border on the top edge of the cake by piping swirls of cream from the icing gun.
- Place maraschino cherries on each swirl.
- Refrigerate for about 30 mins. Served chilled.
Pictures courtesy: google